Wednesday, March 30, 2011

 

The Luckiest

I don't get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls
Brought me here.

And where was I before the day
That I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it every day.
And I know

That I am
I am
I am the luckiest.

What if I'd been born fifty years before you
In a house on the street where you lived?
Maybe I'd be outside as you passed on your bike
Would I know?

And in a white sea of eyes
I see one pair that I recognize.
And I know

That I am
I am
I am the luckiest.

I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you.

Next door there's this old man who lived to his nineties
And one day passed away in his sleep
And his wife, she stayed for a couple of days
And passed away.

I'm sorry, I know that's a strange way to tell you that I know
We belong
That I know

That I am
I am
I am the luckiest.

I'm tired. I'm tired of being afraid I'm going to turn into a crazy person. I'm tired of being afraid that I already am. I'm tired of having a chip on my shoulder, and being insecure, and being lonely, and feeling left out, and feeling like I don't do anything that matters. I'm tired of listening to people TELL me that what I do doesn't matter, I'm tired of my loved ones letting me believe that, I'm tired of telling myself that I'm going to get my life together and thinking that I'll know when I do by how my life looks how my mom says it should. I'm tired of not being proud of myself, and not wanting to look at myself, and getting sick of my own company.

I don't know how to fix anything. I don't know how to make myself better, or how to start believing that I don't need to get better, or how to know if I do. I don't want to be lonely but I don't want to have to act like the fucking cool kids to make friends. I don't want to be left out, but if I have to tell you to include me it ruins it. I don't want to be insecure and I don't want to be humorless or act like a crazy intolerable fucking girl, but I can't take it when you joke about me being demanding when I'm so fucking scared that I'm being demanding. I don't want to call you and I don't pick up the phone when you call because I don't think you want to talk to me. And then you don't call, for months, and I feel like it's my fault.

I'm tired of not being good enough, not ever, no matter what I do. I'm tired of feeling like I'm the same fuck-up I've always been except worse now because I don't have an excuse anymore. I'm tired of feeling like I've wasted all of these years because I can't justify them to you in a way you give a shit about. I'm tired of avoiding your calls during the day because I know you'll nag me about all the things I need to do, and avoiding your calls at night because you get emotional when you're drunk and I don't know how to handle that. It makes me headshy and I never know if your next words are going to be "you're my puppy and I love you" or "you're a cold, aggressive monster."

I'm tired of being jealous, and being ashamed of being jealous, and trying to swallow my jealousy, and trying to logic myself out of it, and trying to ignore it. I'm tired of feeling like a stupid, crazy girlfriend and not being able to stop. I'm tired of second- and third-guessing every goddamn thing I say because none of it's rational the way I want to be, none of it's reasonable the way I want to be, none of it's serene and beautiful and wise the way I want to be. It's all just fucking bile and whimpering confusion and I hate it. I wish there was more than that inside me. I'm not sure anymore that there is.

I don't know how I can expect to satisfy my mom when I haven't been satisfied with anything I am since I was thirteen years old. I thought getting older would be easier - I'd get nice and fucking complacent, worry about taxes and bills, and not cry myself to sleep like a teenager. Instead I'm more insecure than I've ever been, and every day I see myself turning into someone I can't stand and trying to step on every impulse and feeling that pops up in an effort to stop that process is only making it worse.

I wish all of this didn't feel like worthless, whiny first-world-problems bullshit.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,


posted by Rivaine  # 12:16 AM
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   January 2006   April 2007   May 2007   June 2007   July 2007   August 2007   January 2008   May 2008   June 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   December 2008   January 2009   June 2009   July 2009   November 2009   January 2010   February 2010   March 2011   October 2011   December 2011   January 2012   April 2012   May 2012   July 2012  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

purple